South Hills Student Turns Dream into Reality Before GraduatingJune 15, 2017
“I Am South Hills” – Guido SantellaJune 26, 2017
South Hills Prepares Students for Careers with a BRIGHT OUTLOOK!
Want to know where the job opportunities are likely to be in the next several years? The U.S. Department of Labor and the National Center for O*NET Development published a list of “Bright Outlook Occupations*,” so you can see what’s hot in the labor market. South Hills’ priorities include preparing students for those “in demand” employment and career opportunities AND helping employers find trained and qualified candidates (i.e. OUR GRADS!).
*Bright Outlook Occupations are jobs that:
- Are expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and/or
- Are predicted to have a large number of job openings and/or
- Include new and emerging occupations in high-growth industries
Bright Outlook Occupation: Accountant
The field of accounting is very broad and can range from assisting others with personal finances to overseeing the fiscal operations of large corporations. There are opportunities for full- and part-time careers available in business, education, non-profits, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing, government, military, and more. There are many specialty areas available within the field of accounting such as grant management, fraud/forensic accounting, or Income Tax Planning and Preparation. Some choose to start their own accounting services companies and work from home.
Hot Technologies Included in the South Hills Business Administration—Accounting Program:
- Intuit QuickBooks
- Microsoft Access, Excel, Outlook, & PowerPoint
- Tax Software - Tax Act
Employment Outlook for Accountants:
- Projected national growth (2014 – 2024): Much faster than average (14% or higher).
- Regional demand: This job is designated as a “high priority occupation” by the Central PA Workforce Development Board (Centre, Clinton, Columbia, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Snyder, and Union Counties) and the Southern Alleghenies Workforce Development Board (Blair, Bedford, Cambria, Somerset, Huntingdon, Fulton Counties).
- Career Pathways: This occupation offers opportunities for advancement and specialization, based on experience and additional training. Accounting professionals often start out performing junior level accounting functions in either public or private settings and with experience and/or additional training may advance into positions such as Accountant, Auditor, and more.
Learn more about the South Hills Business Administration—Accounting (BAA) program.
National Center for O*NET Development. 31-9092.00. O*NET OnLine. Retrieved June 26, 2017, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/13-2011.01