Local Information Technology Students Hone Project Management Skills Developing E-commerce WebsiteMay 24, 2018
Alumni Stories – Thad RiggleJune 6, 2018
South Hills Prepares Students for Careers with a BRIGHT OUTLOOK!
Want to know where the job opportunities are likely to be in the next several years? The U.S. Department of Labor and the National Center for O*NET Development published a list of “Bright Outlook Occupations*,” so you can see what’s hot in the labor market. South Hills’ priorities include preparing students for those “in demand” employment and career opportunities AND helping employers find trained and qualified candidates (i.e. OUR GRADS!).
*Bright Outlook Occupations are jobs that:
- Are expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and/or
- Are predicted to have a large number of job openings and/or
- Include new and emerging occupations in high-growth industries
Bright Outlook Occupation: Computer User Support Specialist
Computer User Support Specialists play a vital role in a company by working with different hardware, software, networking, etc. Everyone from educational institutions to hospitals to government agencies use Computer User Support Specialists; thus, providing a wide variety of industries and diverse career advancement opportunities.
Hot Technologies Included in the South Hills Information Technology Program:
- C++ Programming
Employment Outlook for Computer User Support Specialists:
- Projected national growth (2014 – 2024): Much faster than average (14% or higher).
- Regional demand: This job is designated as a “high priority occupation” by the Central PA Workforce Development Board (Centre, Clinton, Columbia, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Snyder, and Union Counties) and the Southern Alleghenies Workforce Development Board (Blair, Bedford, Cambria, Somerset, Huntingdon, Fulton Counties).
- Career Pathways: This occupation offers opportunities for advancement and specialization, based on experience and additional training. You can begin your career as a Computer User Support Specialist and move up into higher positions such as a Database Administrator, Network and Computer Systems Administrator, Computer Systems Analyst/IT Consultant, or IT Manager/Computer and Information Systems Manager.
Learn more about the South Hills Information Technology (IT) program.
National Center for O*NET Development. Computer User Support Specialists. 15-1151.00. Retrieved May 7, 2018, from https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1151.00