South Hills Prepares Students for Careers with a BRIGHT OUTLOOK!
Want to know where the job opportunities are likely to be in the next several years? The U.S. Department of Labor and the National Center for O*NET Development published a list of “Bright Outlook Occupations*,” so you can see what’s hot in the labor market. South Hills’ priorities include preparing students for those “in demand” employment and career opportunities AND helping employers find trained and qualified candidates (i.e. OUR GRADS!).
Bright Outlook Occupations are jobs that:
- Are expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and/or
- Are predicted to have a large number of job openings and/or
- Include new and emerging occupations in high-growth industries
Bright Outlook Occupation: Medical Records & Health Information Technicians
Medical Records and Health Information Technicians are an integral part of the health care system and compile, process, and maintain patient records in hospitals, private healthcare facilities, government agencies, etc.
- Projected national growth (2014 – 2024): Much faster than average (14% or higher).
- Regional demand: This job is designated as a “high priority occupation” by the Central PA Workforce Development Board (Centre, Clinton, Columbia, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland, Snyder, and Union Counties) and the Southern Alleghenies Workforce Development Board (Blair, Bedford, Cambria, Somerset, Huntingdon, Fulton Counties).
- Career Pathways: This occupation offers opportunities for advancement! You can start out as a medical coder or health information technician and with experience and/or certification move up into positions like Medical Records Director, Coding Manager, Health Information Management or Registered Health Information Technician.
Learn more about the South Hills Health Information Technology (HIT) program.
National Center for O*NET Development. Bright Outlook Occupations. O*NET OnLine. Retrieved April 17, 2017, from https://www.onetonline.org/help/bright/