Information Technology Student Builds PC Water Cooling System From ScratchSeptember 5, 2018
“I Am South Hills” – Venus ShadeSeptember 14, 2018
South Hills Prepares Students for Careers with a BRIGHT OUTLOOK!
Want to know where the job opportunities are likely to be in the next several years? The U.S. Department of Labor and the National Center for O*NET Development published a list of “Bright Outlook Occupations*,” so you can see what’s hot in the labor market. South Hills’ priorities include preparing students for those “in demand” employment and career opportunities AND helping employers find trained and qualified candidates (i.e. OUR GRADS!).
*Bright Outlook Occupations are jobs that:
- Are expected to grow rapidly in the next several years and/or
- Are predicted to have a large number of job openings and/or
- Include new and emerging occupations in high-growth industries
Bright Outlook Occupation: Software Developer
Software Developers play a key role in the design, installation, analysis, and maintenance of computer programs and applications as well as software systems. The programs are often developed with a goal of helping businesses to be more efficient and deliver improved services to their clients. Some developers design applications for consumers such as games or software for home or personal use.
Hot Technologies Included in the South Hills Information Technology Program:
- Adobe After Effects
(State College only)
- Adobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop
- Android Studio
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- .Net Framework
- PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- SQL Server
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Visual Studio
Employment Outlook for Software Developers:
- Projected national growth (2014 – 2024): Much faster than average (15% or higher).
- Career Pathways: This occupation offers opportunities for advancement and specialization, based on experience and additional training. Software Developers often work in positions such as Application Developer, Application Integration Engineer, IT Analyst, Software Engineer, and Software Development Engineers.
Learn more about the South Hills Information Technology (IT) program.
National Center for O*NET Development. Software Developers. 15-1132.00. Retrieved August 2018 from https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1132.00