Take the First Step!
Complete this form to request more information about South Hills School of Business & Technology’s specialized associate degree programs and classes!
Associate of Specialized Technology (AST) Degree in Software Development and Programming
Our Software Development Program At-a-Glance
- Earn your specialized degree in just 2 years
- Accredited by ACCSC
- Licensed by the PA Department of Education, Department of Private Licensed Schools
What You Need to Know About Our Information Technology AST Degree
Software on our laptops, applications on our phones, websites for every business — all of this is such second nature to us now that many of us don’t even think much about these tools on a day-to-day basis. But the software development and programming field is critical to the modern world, and it’s a career that’s very much in-demand as employers are in need of skilled professionals who can develop applications, create databases, build websites, and more. With the Associate of Specialized Technology Degree in Software Development & Programming from South Hills School of Business & Technology, you can train for this dynamic, fast-growing career.
At South Hills, we update our programming curriculum regularly and give you hands-on training so you know you’ll learn the programming languages and technologies employers are using right now. Our experienced instructors cover topics like:
- Managing the process of developing designing, testing, and delivering a software application to meet user needs
- Creating, retrieving, updating, and deleting information from modern database systems
- Writing programming scripts and applications using modern languages and software tools
- Revising software for corrections, enhancements, or environment changes
- Performing quality checks to ensure software functions bug-free
- Identifying the operating system platform, components, inputs, interface requirements, and dependencies which ensure that a software project will achieve its objectives
- Utilizing a version control system
- Developing a thorough understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Providing oral and written reports in both technical and non-technical environments
- Applying object-oriented programming principles when developing projects
- Designing web pages using HTML and content management systems
We include a 12-week internship with one of our partner employers as part of your program, so you’ll have the opportunity to put what you’ve learned to work. Previous IT internship locations have included:
- Logical Engine
- RBA Professional Data Systems, Inc.
- Penn State University
- Penn State Outreach
- Flywheel Digital
- Trophy Tracks
Students have the flexibility to customize their class choices based on their desired career choice. For those focusing on programming, strong math comprehension skills are an asset.
A successful SDP student is…
- Technologically inclined
- Willing to work collaboratively to achieve an objective
South Hills SDP grads are working in careers including: Web Design/Development, Database Administration, Software Engineering, Mobile Applications Development, and Software Quality Assurance/Development.
Successful students in this program will be fast learners, willing to explore and try new things with the computer, and not easily distracted by online temptations such as games and social media. For those focusing on programming, strong math comprehension skills are an asset.
Information Technology Program at South Hills Participates In Global Technology Event
Talking Tech with Guido Santella
Guido has been an Information Technology instructor at the South Hills Altoona campus since 2005. In the following videos, he shares advice for those interested in a career in technology.
Why You Should Choose South Hills
South Hills School of Business & Technology has been in the business of helping our students gain the specialized career skills they need for over 50 years. We know that we can help you, too, as you prepare for your future career. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Important internship and networking opportunities — Every specialized degree program we offer at South Hills includes a 12-week internship component, which gives you not only hands-on experience, but also a chance to network and connect with our partner organizations.
- Small class sizes — It’s important to us that each of our students feels seen, both in what they need out of their education and what their goals are. It’s why we keep our class sizes small, so you can build a personal relationship with your teachers and fellow students.
- Experienced instructors and mentors — Our instructors are also experienced professionals who know what it takes to be successful in the job market. Software development classes are taught by actual programmers who incorporate their experience with everything from applications to databases into the curriculum.
- Two convenient campus locations — We’ve been providing specialized skills training in Pennsylvania since 1970, starting with our campus location in State College, and expanding into Altoona in 2001.
- Career and alumni services — South Hills is an education community, there for you from the day you enroll to graduation and for years afterward. We have a dedicated Career Services team to help ready you for finding and securing your first job and support you through your career.
- Financial aid and scholarships — Finances shouldn’t stand in the way of you being able to train for the career you want. South Hills has a financial aid team that will help you every step of the way through the application process. Their goal is to help you to obtain all of the grant, loan, agency and military funding for which you are eligible.
Knowledge for current needs.
Small class sizes.
Real-world job insights.
A Comprehensive Curriculum
With an educational training program including attention to theory, practice and application, students in the Software Development and Programming program will develop the knowledge, skills and competencies to succeed in this consistently evolving field. Software Design & Programming at South Hills prepares students to:
- Identify ways to solve problems or complete tasks
- Manage the process of developing designing, testing, and delivering a software application to meet user needs
- Create, retrieve, update, and delete information from modern database systems
- Write programming scripts and applications using modern languages and software tools
- Revise software for corrections, enhancements, or environment changes
- Perform quality checks to ensure software functions bug-free
- Collaborate effectively with others to achieve a common objective
- Identify the operating system platform, components, inputs, interface requirements, and dependencies which ensure that a software project will achieve its objectives
- Utilize a version control system
- Develop a thorough understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Provide oral and written reports in both technical and non-technical environments
- Apply object-oriented programming principles when developing projects
- Design web pages using HTML and content management systems
- Networking Essentials
- UNIX/Linux Essentials
- Website Design
- Apple Application Development
Complete Course List
Software Development and Programming Course List for 2020-21
|Term||Course #||Course Name||Credits||Clock Hours|
|First Term||GE117||Applied Algebra||4||60|
|GE183||Business English I||4||60|
|GE130||History of IT||2||24|
|CP127||Introduction to Operating Systems||2.5||36|
|CP132||Introduction to Programming & Logic||4||60|
|Second Term||GE184||Business English II||4||60|
|CP134||Web Site Design||4||60|
|Third Term||CP135||Business Applications||4||60|
|IT230||Data Structures and Algorithms||4||60|
|CP129||Introduction to SQL Databases||4||60|
|Fourth Term||IT214||Android Application Development||4||60|
|IT231||Software Engineering & Application Development||4||60|
|Fifth Term||IT217||Apple Application Development||4||60|
|IT233||Content Management Systems||4||60|
|CD207||Job Search Skills||2||24|
|Sixth Term||GE178||Human Relations in the Workplace||2.5||36|
|IT225||Information Technology Capstone Project||7||120|
|MG116||Introduction to Business||4.5||60|
|GE213||Oral Business Communication||2||24|
|Seventh Term||CD214||IT Career and Certification Prep||2||21|
|IT229||Software Development and Programming Internship||11||330|
|SDP PROGRAM TOTAL CREDITS||SDP PROGRAM TOTAL HOURS|
|119.0 Credits||1,899 Clock Hours|
The Outlook for Programming Jobs and Careers
The Software Development and Programming program at South Hills is designed to prepare you for entry-level jobs like:
- Application Developer
- Database Administrator
- Mobile Application Developer
- .NET Developer
- Software Developer
- Web Developer
Even within the field of computers and IT, the job outlook for software developers is bright, with the Bureau of Labor Statistics that jobs for software and web developers, programmers, and testers are projected to grow 19% through 2030. That’s much faster than the national average and is likely to result in the addition of hundreds of thousands of new jobs over the next several years.
With a specialized associate degree in software development, you also lay the foundation to increase your opportunities for success. A specialized associate degree is also a potential jumping off point to getting your bachelor’s degree or even master’s degree later on as you advance in your career.
Bright Outlook Occupation
Software Developers play a key role in the design, installation, analysis, and maintenance of computer programs and applications as well as software systems. The programs are often developed with a goal of helping businesses to be more efficient and deliver improved services to their clients. Some developers design applications for consumers such as games or software for home or personal use.See the Bright Outlook for this Occupation
Careers in Software Development and Programming
With two years of hands-on training and strong skillsets, our Software Development and Programming graduates are prepared for a variety of career options, including:
- Applications Developer
- Web Designer/Developer
- Software Developer
- Mobile Applications Developer
- Associate Software Engineer
- Programmer Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Application Programmer
- Software Quality Assurance Developer