Resources for Current Students
While you are a student at South Hills, you'll use this page as a portal to all the resources you'll need. The list below has links to everything from your student email to the Virtual Library to schedules for regular class times and weather delays — everything you need is just a click away!
Students are strongly encouraged to sign up to receive text alerts for Snow Days or Emergencies. See chart below to sign up for your South Hills location:
- State College students — text SC to 313131
- Altoona students — text AL to 313131
- Lewistown students — text LT to 313131
You will receive a confirmation text stating that you have opted in to receive texts from SHSBTPA. Powered by Ez Texting. SMS message and data rates may apply.
Student Complaints or Grievances
South Hills School of Business & Technology's student complaint procedures are designed to provide fair and prompt consideration to any complaint concerning the actions, decisions, or inactions of faculty or staff members. The student should first attempt to resolve the situation with the person whose action is being questioned. If the student does not feel the matter has been resolved, he or she may proceed through the following steps:
- Step 1: The student may file a formal, written complaint to the Director of Education in State College or Campus Directors in Altoona and Lewistown within five (5) working days of the incident by filling out the South Hills Complaint, Grievance, Concern form. A copy of this form may be obtained from the Director of Education in State College or Campus Directors in Altoona and Lewistown.
The Director of Education or Campus Director will investigate the complaint and may conduct a conference with all involved parties in an attempt to resolve the complaint. The student will receive a written response from the Director of Education or Campus Director within ten (10) working days of receipt of the complaint.
- Step 2: If the student is unsatisfied with the response from the Director of Education or Campus Director, the student may appeal in writing to Mark Maggs, the School Director. The School Director may take whatever steps are deemed necessary to resolve the matter and will render a final decision within ten (10) working days.
- Step 3: If the student is unsatisfied with the response from the School Director, the student may appeal in writing to Paul Mazza, the President. The President may take whatever steps are deemed necessary to resolve the matter and will render a final decision within ten (10) working days. If any complaint is not resolved to the student's satisfaction, the student may forward the complaint to the school's accrediting body (ACCSC) or The Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Students making complaints may not be subject to unfair actions as a result of filing a complaint.
Accrediting Body Complaint Information
Schools accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) must have a procedure and operational plan for handling student complaints. If a student does not feel that the school has adequately addressed a complaint or concern, the student may consider contacting the Accrediting Commission. All complaints reviewed by the Commission must be in written form and should grant permission for the Commission to forward a copy of the complaint to the school for a response. This can be accomplished by filing the ACCSC Complaint Form. The complainant(s) will be kept informed as to the status of the complaint as well as the final resolution by the Commission. Please direct all inquiries to:
Accrediting Commission of Career Schools & Colleges
2101 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 302
Arlington, VA 22201
A copy of the ACCSC Complaint Form is available at the school and may be obtained by contacting David Schaitkin, Director of Education or online at www.accsc.org.
The Pennsylvania Department of Education Complaint Information
Students have the right to file complaints with the Pennsylvania Department of Education against a licensed school. The point of contact for student complaints is:
Pennsylvania Department of Education
State Board of Private Licensed Schools
333 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
- October 15, 2018
- September 14, 2018
- September 11, 2018